THE PUNE DECLARATION FOR PALLIATIVE CARE
We, the participants of the 23rd International Conference of the Indian Association of Palliative Care from February 12 to 14, 2016 at Pune,
- finding that there is a huge burden of unrelieved suffering associated with life-limiting illnesses,
- viewing with concern that less than 2% of the those in need have access to pain relief and palliative care in India, and
- aware of the World Health Assembly resolution of 20141, which calls on health systems of all member countries to integrate evidence-based, cost-effective and equitable palliative care services in the continuum of care, across all levels, with emphasis on primary care, community and home based care and universal coverage schemes,
request the Government of India to ensure:
- adequate funding and effective implementation of the National Programme for Palliative Care (NPPC), which was created by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in 20122,
- the rightful place for palliative care in its non-communicable diseases control programme and in its HIV and TB control programmes,
- implementation of the amendment of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Amendment (NDPS) Act of 20143 throughout the country, and
- undergraduate palliative care education by the Medical Council of India, Indian Nursing Council, health universities and by medical institutions and colleges.
- World Health Organization. World Health Assembly WHA 67.19. Agenda Item 15.5. Strengthening of palliative care as a component of comprehensive care throughout the life course. Available at http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA67/A67_R19-en.pdf. Accessed 11 February 2016.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. The National Program for Palliative Care (NPPC). Available at http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/National-Palliative-Care-Strategy-Nov_2012.pdf http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Gazette-notification-NDPS-amendment-10-March-2014.pdf. accessed 11 February 2016
- The Gazette of India.10 March 2014. Available at http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Gazette-notification-NDPS-amendment-10-March-2014.pdf. accessed 11 February 2016.